More than half of all Active Duty members of the military have a family, according to the U.S. Department of Defense. The almost 1,600,000 Active Duty family members are a valuable part of the military community and we welcome those who choose to make Oakwood home.
Oakwood Schools has created this resource page to help our military families find answers to questions, meet challenges and develop relationships.
More than two million children in the United States experience the benefits and challenges of being a military dependent. Oakwood Schools is taking steps to provide these “military kids” the opportunity to build relationships and find comfort in their shared experiences through the District’s Military Kids Club.
“Knowing there is a group full of students who understand what you're going through, led by adults who can deliver specific lessons and opportunities to address these challenges, can be very comforting,” Harman School Counselor Michael Wadham said.
Group members at Harman and Smith Elementary meet regularly throughout the school year to participate in activities and spend time just sharing thoughts and feelings.
“We have done cards for Veteran's, holiday activities, games, sidewalk chalk to support our military, popsicles, picnics and more. Coming to the club, students feel like they are not alone and can identify with each other. There are friendships made and smiles shared when we meet,” Smith Elementary Counselor Amber Perrott said.
- Ohio National Guard Family Readiness and Warrior Support Program - Youth Programs
- Ohio National Guard - Educational Resources for Military Connected Youth
- Ohio Military Kids
- Our Military Kids
- Ohio Association of Purple Star Schools
- Ohio Department of Veterans Services
- Military Kids Connect
- Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission
- Military Parent Technical Assistance Center
- Military One Source
- Military Child Education Coalition
- National Military Family Association
- Sesame Street Military Family Resources for Young Children
- Staying Strong: How Schools Build Resilience in Military Families (Video)
- Working with Military Kids: What Educators Need to Know
- Quick Checklist for School Moves
- School Withdrawal/Enrollment Checklist
- A Military Family's Guide to School Transitions
- Understanding the Needs of Students from Military Families
- Unique Challenges Military Kids Face (Video)
- Military Impacted Schools Association
- Guidelines for Identifying English Learners